On behalf of our members in Mississippi, the National Rifle Association's Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) proudly announces its endorsement of state Senator Sally Doty for re-election.
NRA-PVF Chairman Chris Cox stated, “Under Sally Doty’s leadership, Mississippi has taken critically important steps to protect our Second Amendment rights and to recognize the key role that Mississippi sportsmen play in wildlife conservation. Thanks to her work, self-defense options have been expanded for law-abiding Mississippians and hunters will enjoy savings when purchasing equipment before heading into the field this fall."
Doty supported the following pro-gun initiatives:
• Allowing law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for protection in a purse, satchel or briefcase – or openly – without a permit;
• Creating an annual tax-free weekend for gun and ammunition sales;
• Preventing the government from confiscating firearms during a state of emergency or disaster;
• Protecting carry permit holders’ privacy; • Establishing a constitutional right to hunt and fish, and;
• Eliminating gun dealer recordkeeping requirements at the state level.
• All gun control measures were defeated under her watch – including proposed gun bans and ammunition registration schemes.
Mailpieces which grossly misrepresent Senator Doty's record on Second Amendment issues have recently been sent into Senate District 39 by a group which has violated Mississippi ethics laws and been cited for illegally raising money in the state. One of these mailings falsely claims that Senator Doty helped defeat legislation to prevent gun confiscation from law-abiding citizens, as occurred in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. It fails to mention that this legislation was actually signed into law with Senator Doty’s full support. The organization that sent this mailing is deliberately misleading voters to try and discredit Senator Doty, who is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.
"We encourage all NRA members to go to the polls and support Sally Doty in the Primary Election on August 4, and then to ask their fellow gun owners and sportsmen to do likewise," concluded Cox.
Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America's oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. More than five million members strong, NRA continues to uphold the Second Amendment and advocates enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services. Be sure to follow the NRA on Facebook at NRA on Facebook and Twitter @NRA.